My philosophy is based on the idea that the relationship between a teacher and student is a symbiotic one. If the student succeeds, then the teacher does. Being a good teacher doesn’t mean that you are the highest-paid or the smartest because it is the ones who care and work hard to see their students succeed that make the best teachers. Teachers can change lives and lead generations towards a better tomorrow. I believe that a teacher needs to create a community in her classroom, encourage students, create connections. This is all to support the student, to see them grow and succeed. We must remember that we are not just teaching students, but people. These people have thoughts, feelings, doubts, and struggles. It is important to acknowledge that they are not only a number. For students to learn, they must feel heard. We do not teach them just for us, so we should be making sure that we are giving the students the tools and motivation to succeed. Teaching is not a glamourous one, but it is worth every student’s smile. There is no better feeling than seeing a student understand and learn what you are trying to teach. If you can teach one student and make them succeed, then it is all worth it. Teachers are selfless, giving much of their time and lives to their students. I also believe that teachers need to continue learning and growing. Once you have a teaching certificate, that does not mean that your learning is over. You must attend conferences, workshops, look for ideas, and develop new ones. As an educator, education never stops, especially for you.
I think these are all things that are needed to be successful in teaching. These are the aspects that the teachers that I remember that made me want to learn. There was something more to the relationship where it seemed like my pursuit of education was supported. Every student I teach has the potential to change the world and what I teach them is what they will put out. I want my students to be the best that they can be.
I do these things by getting to know my students. Starting the lesson off by asking questions about the students, like where are they from? What are their favourite foods? Asking questions and getting to know your students is essential. I also let them know things about me, trying to tie it into the lesson. After all, how can I expect students to trust me with their learning if I do not help build it with them? I make sure that students feel empowered and confident by encouraging them even when they fail. I let them know that a mistake is a lesson learned. I do this by giving them positive feedback and encouraging corrections. I make learning fun and something to look forward to by creating lesson plans with videos, games, and engaging PowerPoints. I try to add things that they are interested in or that they want to know. All of these things that I do are to give students the ability to enjoy learning and to be eager for it.