Class #7

At the beginning of this lesson, I wanted to involve the students a bit more before class, as my practicum supervisor suggested. I decided to go in early and added a question at the beginning. I found that this worked well, and students engaged with the question provided. I am a bit shy, so it can be hard to start a conversation, or I feel awkward about it. This way helped give a base, to begin with as students came in and help create a bit more of a conversation between them and myself, which I enjoyed. I found that I loved learning about where everyone was from and what the weather was like where they are. Although it was a basic question, sometimes I guess basic questions are all that can be needed to get students talking. One thing that I like is that we made sure not to teach the same stuff we did last time instead we provided them new strategies and ideas. This would hopefully help build on the skills that we gave them last time. I am happy with the video I found. It was funny and very engaging but had tricks and tips for editing as well. I think it was a good shake-up for the class. We tried things a little differently this time also, by doing three different practices, one as a class, then in groups, and then individually. This tactic led to great success, and it reminds me of taking the training wheels off the bike. The first class seemed to do well with this, and I think we saw some good answers and participation. It will be interesting to see if we get similar results with the next class. Even if we don’t get participation, but it helps them understand the subject a bit better would be a victory.

Class #8

I think for the second class, the introduction of an opening question went well. I do feel like I got a bit more participation than usual, which was a great feeling. Again it was great to learn where some of the students were from, making me feel closer to them and understand some of them a bit better. Some somethings went a lot better in this class. We ended up did the groups a bit differently, I tried to at least pair one stronger person with another strong person or a least someone I knew would try and participate. The group work went much better than last time, and the groups seemed pretty happy for the most part. Although not every group was on the microphone, honestly, I was just happy that they were talking to each other at all, even if it was through the chat. The next step or goal would be to have them use the mic. It was a small victory, but a victory none the less. Chloe and I were happy about it. I also think that the three steps of practice worked well with this class. We had a least a handful of people giving us answers. One of the students did come out and say that they were struggling. I am glad that they felt they could tell us that and open up. I made sure to let everyone know that editing is hard and it takes practice but that we had already seen an Improvement. I find with this class needs a lot of encouragement, which I think is because they struggle with the content. It seems like they enjoy and appreciate the encouragement, which makes me happy. Overall I think that this class went well, and I can see an improvement, which is exciting.